Experienced Transportation Engineers / Planners Wanted
Close: when suitable candidates are foundLocation: Christchurch or Auckland
Abley is a specialist professional services company with unrivalled abilities in spatial and data intelligence, software development, transportation planning and engineering. At Abley, our purpose is to inspire positive change, so our clients can make the right decisions.
Our transport team develop and deliver strategies and infrastructure that support safer travel, improved access and mobility. They’re big picture thinkers who also consider environmental, economic and personal wellbeing outcomes.
Our location and technology team help organisations gain insights from their data, so they can improve efficiency, save money and make smarter decisions. We’re all about providing insightful advice so people can make informed decisions that benefit our communities.
We are continuing to experience growth in the transportation space and looking for experienced transportation engineers or planners to help us meet this growing demand.
What we need
We have opportunities available within four of our teams namely:
- Land Development support property developers, councils and government with the transport aspects of land development planning and consenting. This is a Christchurch based role.
- People & Places specialise in creating safe and attractive spaces for people in a changing world. They aim to create positive change in our built environments. This is a Christchurch based role.
- Strategy & Planning bring an integrated strategic approach to understanding the changing transport needs of our community and identifying the best way forward. They also develop business cases that achieve the outcomes sought by our partners and stakeholders and receive approval and funding from decision makers. This is a North Island based role, ideally landing in Auckland (but we will consider elsewhere for the right person).
- Safety Delivery complete a variety of work that provides a wholesome design experience from start to finish. Work undertaken includes safety improvements, safety assessments, speed reviews, concept designs, detailed design, road safety audits and MSQA. This is an Auckland based role.
What you’ll bring with you
Well, this really depends on which role you are considering. For any experienced transport engineer or planner we would expect:
- Experience leading people and project teams, and working with various project partners and a range of disciplines.
- Experience in negotiating and securing commissions from new and existing clients.
- A good understanding of the transportation consulting business in New Zealand.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong financial, project management and time management skills.
A few extras depending on the team you are interested in.
- 8+ years working as a transport planner or traffic engineer.
- An understanding of the RMA and New Zealand planning context.
- An excellent track record preparing transport assessments and ITAs.
- Hearings experience, including writing and presenting evidence.
- Experience working as an independent reviewer of transport assessments.
- Well connected with the land development sector.
People & Places
- 8-10 years’ experience in the transportation industry with a passion for active mode planning and design.
- Inclusive planning and design experience.
- Tactical urbanism planning and design experience.
- Expertise/interest in sustainability and achieving carbon neutral targets within the transport sector.
- Stakeholder engagement experience including Te Ao Maori.
Strategy & Planning
- 10+ years’ experience in the transportation industry with some of that experience within the areas that the strategy and planning work in.
- A strong track record of securing, leading and delivering transport planning projects, particularly business cases.
- An established network with key government clients in the North Island.
- Excellent technical skills with a firm understanding of the transport planning system that means you can understand a client’s problem and propose possible solutions.
- 10+ years working as a transport engineer with detailed design experience.
- A strong track record securing, leading and delivery transport engineering projects.
- An established network with the public and private sectors including local authority clients in the North Island.
- A willingness and passion to help mentor and develop the next generation of transport engineers.
If you only have some of the skills we are after, please still apply. Most importantly, we are looking for the right person who fits with our culture and has the attitude we are looking for.
We pride ourselves in the culture our people have created. We provide many extra benefits that enables us to be a flexible work environment.
We operate an environment where we help each other so together we achieve great results. We will assist you to achieve a greater technical understanding of your work and supportive of your professional development.
Our firm is growing, and your career growth will only be limited by your talent and ambition.
We offer very competitive salaries, and our offices in Christchurch and Auckland are centrally located in close proximity to public transport with great cycling facilities. We are technology and thought leaders and we have a number of industry 'firsts' under our belt. We work in a diverse team that has a great gender, ethnic and age mix and would welcome applicants from an equally diverse range of people.
We want you to make a fully informed decision before applying for this role. You can find more information about our firm, the team you will be working with, our latest news and awards on our website. A generic job description for these roles can be downloaded from here. If you would like more information on these roles, please contact Nichola Blue (email: email@example.com or phone 0276983323).
All applications for this position will be made in the strictest confidence.
We want to hear from you.
Please apply below, attaching a cover letter and your CV. Note that while NZ borders are closed, you will need to be resident in NZ to apply for these roles.
If you are keen to develop an exciting career, contact us today. We want to hear from you.
Apply for this Vacancy